On Thu, Jan 15, 2015 at 6:43 PM, Domenic Denicola <d...@domenic.me> wrote:

> Steve's concerns are best illustrated with a more complicated element like
> <button>. He did a great pull request to the custom elements spec that
> contrasts all the work you have to do with <taco-button> vs. <button
> is="tequila-button">:
>
> https://w3c.github.io/webcomponents/spec/custom/#custom-tag-example vs.
> https://w3c.github.io/webcomponents/spec/custom/#type-extension-example
>
> The summary is that you *can* duplicate *some* of the semantics and
> accessibility properties of a built-in element when doing custom tags, but
> it's quite arduous. (And, it has minor undesirable side effects, such as
> new DOM attributes which can be overwritten, whereas native role semantics
> are baked in.)
>
> Additionally, in some cases you *can't* duplicate the semantics and
> accessibility:
>

> https://github.com/domenic/html-as-custom-elements/blob/master/docs/accessibility.md#incomplete-mitigation-strategies
>
> An easy example is that you can never get a screen reader to announce
> <custom-p> as a paragraph, while it will happily do so for <p
> is="custom-p">. This is because there is no ARIA role for paragraphs that
> you could set in the createdCallback of your CustomP.
>
> However, this second point is IMO just a gap in the capabilities of ARIA
> that should be addressed. If we could assume it will be addressed on the
> same timeline as custom elements being implemented (seems ... not
> impossible), that still leaves the concern about having to duplicate all
> the functionality of a button, e.g. keyboard support, focus support,
> reaction to the presence/absence of the disabled attribute, etc.

I think you really need look no further than HTML as Custom Elements work
to see how difficult it would be to get accessibility right even if we had
good APIs, which, as Domenic pointed out, we really don't.

Anyway, it seems like one of the biggest criticisms we have seen of custom
elements anyone has made has to do with accessibility... It definitely
doesn't seem desirable to make it *harder* to get that right if we can
avoid it, because this could definitely play into the success or failure
story writ large.