On Sat, Jan 17, 2015 at 10:12 PM, Olivier Forget <teleclim...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I'd be interested in hearing more about what didn't work with that API by
> both devs who tried to make use of it and the implementors too.
>
> For the record: web developers don't usually take advantage of additional
> functionality that is provided by only one browser, or implemented in
> differing unpolished ways by different browsers. When possible we take the
> lowest common denominator approach to offer a consistent experience from
> browser to browser, and to avoid spending resources writing code that only a
> subset of users will be able to use anyways.
>
> What I'm saying is that the fact few devs worked with multiple ranges may not
> be a reflection of the quality of the API, but rather that because it wasn't
> implemented across browsers it wasn't worth from a cost-benefit point of view.
>
> And no I'm not saying the API is great either, just that saying "developers
> won't do it" is not really fair to anybody.

It's not just that it was only implemented by one UA.  It's also that
even in Firefox, multiple-range selections practically never occur.
The only way for a user to create them to to either Ctrl-select
multiple things, which practically nobody knows you can do; or select
a table column, which is also extremely uncommon; or maybe some other
obscure ways.  In evidence of this fact, Gecko code doesn't handle
them properly either.  Ehsan might be able to provide more details on
this if you're interested.