I am not championing is= as the answer to all the worlds ills, but it does
provide *examples* of built in features that I believe are critical to
robust accessibility support in web components:

which are:
roles/state and property mapping from existing attributes (disabled,
required etc)
platform/browser standard interaction behaviours (keyboard etc)
ability to provide an accessible name, and <label> elements (that are
labelable) using standard HTML

In this radio and checkbox example (view in chrome)
https://rawgit.com/alice/web-components-demos/master/index.html
(which has been referenced several times in this thread, but no one has
critiqued to my knowledge) all of the above are evident, while at the same
time appearing to overcome the issue of standard control fugliness

If there are better ways to achieve the built in features which support
robust accessibility I am all for it. ,

--

Regards

SteveF