Dimitri: Okay, I can follow up with Ryosuke. I’m happy to share our thoughts
and needs for subclassing components.

Anne/Steve: I’d originally indicated that this technique couldn't be applied to
extending native HTML elements. Since the two of your seemed interested in
that, I spent some time tinkering with the idea, and it turns out that this
technique can be made to work for that situation. I’ve posted a quick demo
(http://janmiksovsky.github.io/base-template/extendButton.html
<http://janmiksovsky.github.io/base-template/extendButton.html>) showing
subclassing of a standard HTML button element. This works best under native
Shadow DOM. Under polyfilled Shadow DOM, base class styles can’t (yet?) be
inherited.

Anyway, I mention this in case it opens up some ideas. Thanks for the
inspiration!