I haven't tested this out to see if it dispatches all the correct events in
order to be spec-compliant but Chromium just landed programmatic
copy-and-cut [with restrictions that require that there is an active,
expanded Selection/Range in the Document]:

http://updates.html5rocks.com/2015/04/cut-and-copy-commands

They used `Document#queryCommandSupported` and
`Document#queryCommandEnabled` for feature detection -- the latter
requiring that there is an active, expanded Selection/Range in the Document
in order to get a positive (`true`) indicator].

For better or worse, the time for spec changes may be fleeting....

Sincerely,
   James M. Greene