On 07/16/2015 08:30 AM, Domenic Denicola wrote:
From: Travis Leithead [mailto:travis.leith...@microsoft.com]

I've discussed this issue with some of Edge's key parser developers.

Awesome; thank you for doing that!

I believe to be the most straightforward approach that most closely matches how
the platform itself works

Thanks, it's helpful to get this non-implementation-focused reasoning out in
the open.

What are your responses to Olli's concerns about how this is hard to spec properly?
I.e. "no one ever managed to spec MutationEvents properly, and
running author code during cloneNode(true) is at least as hard problem to
solve." Are you concerned about interop? It sounds like it's technically
feasible for you, but do you think it will be technically feasible in a way
that is interoperable? (I realize that's a hard question to answer.)

For example, in parsing, I would expect that the callout happens after initial
instance creation, but before the target node is attached to the
DOM tree by the parser.

Can you expand on this more? In particular I am confused on how "initial instance
creation" can happen without calling the constructor.

I am sympathetic to this concern, but have my own reservations about the
proto-swizzle technique.

I think this is not the correct positioning for this question. There are two
independent questions: is it OK to run author code during parsing and
cloning? And separately, is there utility to be gained from proto-swizzling?
You can imagine (at least) four solutions for this 2x2 grid of yes/no
question since it is foundational.

---

It sounds like so far we have:

- Mozilla against running author code during these times
That is too strongly said, at least if you refer to my email
(where I expressed my opinions, but as usually, others from Mozilla may have
different opinions).
I said "I'd prefer if we could avoid that [Running author code during
cloneNode(true)]."

And my worry is largely in the spec level.
It would be also a bit sad to reintroduce some of the issues MutationEvents
have to the platform, now that we're
finally getting rid of those events

- Microsoft for running author code during these times, but sympathetic to
concerns in the
opposite direction

Is this correct so far?

I suppose I should also note

- Google against running author code during these times, based on investigation by
Dominic (with an "i") into the complexity it would add to the
platform/event loop/etc. (I believe the exact phrase "MutationEvents all over
again" was used.)