From: Gervase Markham []
Sent: Thursday, October 13, 2016 3:38 PM
To: Dean Coclin <>; CABFPub <>
Cc: Halliday, Morgan <>; Sidoriak, Evan S
Subject: Re: [cabfpub] SHA-1 exception request

On 29/09/16 19:52, Dean Coclin wrote:
> In accordance with the SHA-1 Exception Request procedure, we hereby
> submit the attached request on behalf of our client.

After consideration, Mozilla grants an exception for the issuance of
SHA-1 certificates, with the condition that they expire not after December
31st 2016, in line with the policy Google drafted.

We accept there is a case to be made that duration does not directly affect
risk of issuance, but it affects risk of ongoing use, and it affects the issue
of moral hazard and fairness to other companies.

Mozilla's public purpose is to make the Internet a better place for everyone,
and that includes citizens whose credit card data passes across it. We are
saddened that various payment card industry standards do not seem to put as
high a value on the security of users' data as the Internet community does.

Thanks to First Data for their honest answers to the questions put.