Ryan,
First of all, thank you for taking the time to post a reply.  I did the Mozilla 
discussion when it was happening, and I've reviewed it again.  I may be missing 
something, but the gist of it seems to be that misuse is pretty much whatever 
the particular CA in question decides it is, and Mozilla seems to have punted 
by changing the wording to eliminate the word 'misuse' from their policy.  Not 
particularly helpful unless "whatever the CA decides it is," is in fact the 
accepted definition, which does seem to be the end result of Mozilla's wording 
as well.  It's not  particularly useful, as a matter of clarity of the BRs, to 
need to refer to some discussion that took place eons ago on another forum 
which only affects one browser's program, not the BRs themselves.  And while I 
don't doubt your recollection that the discussion around Ballot 161 may have 
touched upon the confusion around 'misuse' the ballot itself did not address it 
in any way.

It seems that our options are:
1) Accept the de facto definition of misuse = whatever the particular CA 
decides it means
If that's the case then it seems pointless to have it in the BRs at all and we 
should draft a ballot to remove it, OR;
2) Come up with or find where a normative definition has been supplied and 
let's put a ballot through to add that to the BRs.

Frankly I'm open to either option because as the case stands now I'm not sure 
how I, or anyone else, could possibly determine whether or not I'm in 
compliance with the requirement to revoke a certificate for 'misuse'.  The fact 
that you pointed me to an outside discussion and a failed ballot, rather than 
some clarifying language w/in the BRs that I may have missed, leads me to 
believe that you would agree.



-----Original Message-----
From: Ryan Sleevi [mailto:[email protected]] 
Sent: Monday, July 17, 2017 11:06 AM
To: Rich Smith <[email protected]>; CA/Browser Forum Public Discussion 
List <[email protected]>
Subject: Re: [cabfpub] What is 'misuse'?

There have been several attempts relating to definitions of both 'misissue' and 
'misuse'

Mozilla attempted to refine its definition in Mozilla Policy 2.4 after 
substantial discussion as 
https://groups.google.com/d/msg/mozilla.dev.security.policy/UHRdmKNVAOg/Sqtj-YLdCAAJ

Opera attempted a ballot to require CAs disclose when they perform incorrect 
issuance - https://cabforum.org/2016/02/12/ballot-161/ - which similarly 
touched on a substantial discussion of these two words.

On Mon, Jul 17, 2017 at 11:49 AM, Rich Smith via Public <[email protected]> 
wrote:
> The BRs use the term misuse/misused in multiple places in regards to 
> reasons for revocation, and Subscriber representations, but do not define the 
> term.
>
>
>
> What constitutes misuse of a certificate?  Phishing?  Fraud?  Or is it 
> only compromise of the private key or other action that results in 
> someone who is not authorized being allowed use of the certificate?  
> Or is it something else?
>
>
>
> Because it is undefined interpretations are all over the map.  IMO the 
> definition needs to be pinned down and codified in the Definitions 
> section of the BRs.
>
>
>
> Regards,
>
> Rich Smith
>
> Senior Compliance Manager
>
> Comodo
>
>
> _______________________________________________
> Public mailing list
> [email protected]
> https://cabforum.org/mailman/listinfo/public
>

_______________________________________________
Public mailing list
[email protected]
https://cabforum.org/mailman/listinfo/public

Reply via email to