Hi Peter,

Is the "right to use" (in p. 1) defined somewhere?

Thanks,
M.D.

On 2/4/2018 9:19 PM, Peter Bowen via Public wrote:
There has been a lot of discussion of which validation methods are acceptable
and meet the bar for issuance of a certificate but I've not seen anyone clearly
state the requirements for issuance. I think it is important we agree on what
is being certified before we try to fix the validation process any further.
Without doing so, there is no way to reasonably judge the effectiveness of any
method.

Section 9.6.1 of the BRs is the closest I could find to spelling out exactly
what is being certified. Reading that, it looks like the following is true:

The issuer named in the certificate, as of the issuance date, certified that:

1) the Applicant either had the right to use, or had control of, the Domain
Name(s) and IP address(es) listed in the Certificate’s subject field and
subjectAltName extension or, in the case of Domain Names, was delegated such
right or control by someone who had such right to use or control, and

2) the natural person, device, system, unit, or Legal Entity identified in the
Certificate as the Subject authorized the issuance of the Certificate, and

3) the Subject is either the Applicant or a device under the control and
operation of the Applicant, and

4) that the natural person or human sponsor who was either the Applicant,
employed by the Applicant, or an authorized agent who had express authority to
represent the Applicant was authorized to request the Certificate on behalf of
the Subject, and

5) the issuer verified the accuracy of all of the information contained in the
Certificate (with the exception of the subject:organizationalUnitName
attribute), and

6) the issuer followed procedures to reduce the likelihood that the information
contained in the Certificate’s subject:organizationalUnitName attribute is
misleading

There may be other things certified, but these six things are required for all
certificates, as I read the BRs.  Do others agree?  Should this list be longer
or shorter?

Thanks,
Peter