On Mar 2, 2018, at 6:04 AM, philliph--- via Public <public@cabforum.org> wrote:

> Going back to the original question.
>
> We have a format for a certificate request (well a few actually). Do we have
> a PKIX feature that can be used to allow a key holder to request revocation?
> I can’t think of a PKIX standard for one

I'm 99% sure that Phill is correct here. We discussed "suicide notes" in PKIX a
few times over the decades, and I believe we never came to any conclusion. If
such a format has been standardized, I can't find it easily by searching.

> and it does appear to be a missing feature.

In a world where you might have bought a certificate from a CA or, in
particular, a reseller with whom you might no longer be able to communicate
(such as if they go out of business), being able to create a signed request
with proof-of-possesion of the private key would be a valuable feature for the
Web PKI.

--Paul Hoffman