I'd also like to propose formal Project Technical Lead and a formal
Project Community Lead roles to be able to decide in case of competing
(technical) ideas or planning priorities.
These would have to be time-boxed (half a year) and folks would elect
the leader for a period based on leader's program, such as focus on
particular goals for instance testing or refactoring.
Any single person would be able to perform either the Community or the
Technical Lead role in any given period but not both at the same time.
The Community Lead role would take care for organizing the Technical
Lead elections and vice versa, the Technical Lead would take care
about organizing the Community Lead elections.
The electorate would be the active contributors for both the roles.
The candidates would be the active contributors too.

This would open up the decision making process for anyone from the
community, would encourage transparency, accountability and
responsibility and would allow us to come to a decision on competing
(technical) ideas or planning issues in case we'd got stuck.

Cheers,
milan