On Wed, Mar 6, 2019 at 10:08 AM Neal Gompa <ngomp...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Mar 6, 2019 at 10:05 AM Neal Gompa <ngomp...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > On Wed, Mar 6, 2019 at 10:01 AM Eric Helms <ehe...@redhat.com> wrote:
> > >
> > > For most Pulp 3 installations, it seems there are two default
> > > applications that will be running: API and content. Those applications
> > > are set to run on 8000 and 8080 respectively. I was thinking that it
> > > might be more obvious for operators and developers to have the defaults
> > > next to each other in order to make it more predictable and easier to
> > > remember. Ultimately, these ports should be configurable for different
> > > environments, but sane easy to remember defaults have their value.
> > >
> > > My suggestion is: 8080 (API) and 8081 (content).
> > >

> > I would suggest not using any standard HTTP auxiliary ports by
> > default. Is there a compelling reason to do so?
> >

> Welp, this isn't clear enough. I mean that the ports should be unique
> to Pulp rather than something that could be construed as something
> that would unknowingly conflict.

I agree with Neal,

I cannot find a definitive list of the standard HTTP auxiliary ports,
but lots of websites and open source/commercial web apps/web GUIs use
8080 or 8008 because 80 is already in use or is expected to be in use.
I think the same applies to 8000 as well. And lots of small-scale
sysadmins run multiple applications on the same server.

Cockpit uses 9090 partially for this reason.

What I suggest we do is find 2 ports (sequential like Eric suggests)
over 1024 that are not officially IANA assigned, and just Google to
make sure they are not commonly & unofficially used by any
application.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_TCP_and_UDP_port_numbers

There is one downside, which is that some organizations' firewalls
allow standard HTTP auxiliary ports like 8080 but not arbitrary ports.
This may be less common nowadays, and I feel it is outweighed.

-Mike