On Wed, Aug 28, 2019 at 11:34 AM Tatiana Tereshchenko <ttere...@redhat.com>
wrote:

> Bump.
>
> Please provide feedback if you have any.
> I'll start working on the PR to make the suggested change this week
> otherwise.
>
> Thank you,
> Tanya
>
> On Mon, Aug 26, 2019 at 12:46 PM Tatiana Tereshchenko <ttere...@redhat.com>
> wrote:
>
>> In RPM plugin we have Modulemd content. It comes from metadata as one
>> file and we parse it and then save each modulemd as a separate
>> file/artifact.
>>
>> The question is how to handle this content in the sync pipeline.
>> Modulemd content is artifactless on a remote source (metadata) but it's
>> not artifactless in Pulp, so it can't follow a standard path - it needs an
>> artifact but doesn't have any remote source to download it from.
>>
>> The suggestion: find a way to skip ArtifactDownloader and
>> RemoteArtifactSaver stages.
>> The content and its artifact still need to go through all the stages,
>> except the ones which deal with artifact's url in some way - download
>> artifact (ArtifactDownloader stage) and or create a RemoteArtifact for
>> downloading later (RemoteArtifactSaver stage).
>>
>> The straightforward way is just to check if DeclarativeArtifact has url
>> (or check some special value) and skip the stage otherwise. Any concerns
>> about this approach (apart form being somewhat hacky)?
>>

>> Any other solutions to the problem?

That solution seems fine to me. I'll toss out another idea just to have
options.

New bool on Declarative Artifact. Similar to deferred downloads, certain
stages are no-ops if DeclarativeArtifact.deferred_download is True.
https://github.com/pulp/pulpcore-plugin/blob/master/pulpcore/plugin/stages/artifact_stages.py#L152
https://github.com/pulp/pulpcore-plugin/blob/master/pulpcore/plugin/stages/models.py#L29