Dne 25. 06. 20 v 16:46 Pierre-Louis Bossart napsal(a):

So, rather the question is how we should provide the setup of such
parameter.  It's supposed to be a part of power management stuff that
should be touched by either a smart PM tool or a manual override such
as runtime PM setup?  Or can it be seen as a more casual tuning?

I am not aware of such tools. The only thing I know is that some of
the HDaudio power settings are already controlled by kernel
parameters, e.g.

/etc/modprobe.d/audio_powersave.conf
options snd_hda_intel power_save=1

Yes, it's been the primary knob for years to turn on/off the runtime
PM for HD-audio and other legacy drivers.  This was used by powertop
or some other power-aware daemons and tools, to be toggled dynamically
per the power cable state or such.

And, how the silent stream feature should be seen?
Should it be a system-wide root-only setup or adjustable per user?
Would it be changed often?  Such questions and answers will lead us to
the right direction, I hope.

For audio, would UCM not be the appropriate point for a system integrator to
decide how the audio device should be set up?

This would allow for a choice based on the situation in which the device is
actually being deployed without users having to muck around with module
parameters -- maybe someone wants want this enabled for an HTPC setup, but not
on a desktop connected to a monitor.

Right, that's my concern.  Many users with HDMI monitor that is
capable of audio don't use HDMI audio because they don't need it
and/or the output sucks.  For them, this feature is superfluous and
harmful from the runtime PM POV. >
If it were provided via UCM, would it be yet another UCM profile like
HDMI+silentstream?  This can be confusing, too, I'm afraid.

Unless I am mistaken, this silent stream would be applicable to the
legacy HDaudio driver, as well as SOF.

UCM is not used for the legacy HDaudio case, so that would close the
door on UCM-based configurations, no?

UCM can be used for legacy HDA, too (and it is used for some legacy HDA models - dual codecs). It seems that it's better to describe the "abstract" device layout for users on the one place.

My plan is to migrate to UCM completely at some day when the major issues are resolved. It may be a bit challenge for the legacy HDA driver and USB devices but doable.

                                        Jaroslav

--
Jaroslav Kysela <pe...@perex.cz>