Hi,

If you e.g. plug in a USB head set, then adjust it's volume to say 50%
(not the stream volume, but the sink volume), and then hoik (technical
term) the USB connector out and subsequently plug it back in again
later, the volume is back to 100%.

It would be nice if this was handled internally in pulse to keep the
volume as the user prefers?

You could argue that this should be done via alsa+udev, but I'm not sure
if alsa can store the settings/level for the device after it's been
unplugged. It certainly doesn't work on my machine as indicated by a
comment in /usr/sbin/alsa.agent:

elif [[ "$ACTION" == "remove" ]]; then # this is not called anymore (but
on force-reload)

Does it work for other people automagically via alsa or do people think
it is a good to extend pulse to support doing this.

Col