Hi,

Being in the thick of things at a distro adoption level, these are the
things I think that are important for pulse to be fully accepted.

1. Improvements to the pulse alsa plugin to make it more tolerant of
buggy alsa clients. Yes the correct fix is to fix broken clients but if
there is anything that can be done here, IMO it should as while I agree
with the principle of fixing the real problem and making better apps
etc. there is just too much backlash against this at the moment and it's
not helping pulse gain a good reputation in some cases.

2. The alsa plugin should fall back gracefully to real hw if pulse is
not running. This is a biggie IMO. Can it be done.

3. Make spawning/starting better/more reliable. Either get autospawning
working nicely or make pulse auto-restart itself after a crash (not a
successful shutdown tho'!). Clearly not crashing would be preferred but,
hey, nothings perfect eh!

With these things addressed I think we'd have much less hostility
towards pulse (of course not everyone is hostile but those that are are
quite good at it!!).

I've not written my usual "war and peace" here so apologies if the text
is not well formed or ill thought through ;)

Col