Lennart Poettering wrote:
>>> Hmm, when I hacked the auto-spawning code I made sure that it worked
>>> event for the ESD drop-in stuff. Are you suggesting that this doesn't work?
>> No, there is no bug in pulse here, I just had a bug in my packaging of
>> the pulseaudio-esound-compat package where I did not provide an
>> /etc/esd.conf file.
>>
>> When this file does not exist, the *libesound* autospawning was turned
>> on by default which resulted in pulse being auto spawned via
>> /usr/bin/esd -> esdcompat
>
> And that doesn't work for you? It should work. I carefully made sure
> to make PA as compatible to esd as possible, and that includes
> handling libesd-based autospawning of PA. If it doesn't work, than I
> broke something.

It works. Everything works!! The only problem was in my package which
didn't ship an esd.conf file (we do not want "esd" to autospawn by
default). The default config file with the real esound has a config file
that does not autospawn by default so when converting to use pulse over
esound I inadvertently changed the default behaviour.

I only mention this in case you do not ship an esd.conf in your fedora
package and have the same issue as me! I've not picked through the
fedora rpms lately so it may not be an issue at all! I didn't mean this
to be a discussion, just a heads up, so sorry if I've misled you a bit
here :p

>>> Hmm, if I remember correctly: GNOME will fallback to non-cache event
>>> sound playback if a cached sample for the event is not cached. That
>>> might be the reason why event sounds still work for you, although
>>> nothing is in the cache.
>> Fair enough. Certainly the sounds are cached at login as I think I
>> reported back elsewhere so that's good :)
>
> Hmm, so you say that if PA is started before gnome-session, then it
> will still properly upload the samples? That would be great.

Certainly seems to, tho' I've only got observation here rather than
facts from picking through the gnome-session stuff.

Col