On Tue, 26.05.09 14:59, Phil Wieland (p...@philwieland.com) wrote:

> Is there any way to set the volume and output device of a stream which
> is not currently active?
>
> Scenario:
> Ubuntu 9.04.  I have two output devices, a sound card and a USB phone
> handset.  The default output stream is (foolishly) set to the USB phone.
>
> I hover the mouse pointer over an ogg file on the desktop and the
> totem-audio-preview starts up.  This is the first time I've used it, so
> it chooses the USB phone to play on.
>
> Now I'm stuck, because as soon as I move the mouse to the pavucontrol
> the preview stream disappears, so I can't switch its destination!
>
> My workaround was to find out where the database storing these settings
> is, delete it and then start again, setting the default stream to the
> sound card before activating the previewer, but this seems a bit of a
> bodge.  Is there a better way?  Perhaps the Show selector should have an
> entry for inactive streams?

The APIs for doing stuff like this are all in place. But AFAIK there
is no UI tool existant that would allow you flexible configuration of
that.

gnome-volume-control in git will rewrite all rules when you switch
devices with it, and hence the problem should go away.

Lennart

lennart [at] poettering [dot] net