On Thu, 28.05.09 01:47, CJ van den Berg (c...@vdbonline.com) wrote:

> > > Well, I think the stream volume should ‘push’ the reference volume. ie.
> > > if stream volume > reference volume then reference volume == stream
> > > volume. The would be pretty intuitive if you ask me.
> >
> > Doesn't work either since this reintroduces all the problems that made
> > us come up with the concept of the ref volume in the first place:
> >
> > If a stored volume for a stream says 2 dB more than ref volume, then
> > when we apply this we will change the ref volume itself (since we need
> > to 'push' it as you suggest). i.e. before the stream appeared we where
> > at ref volume x, when it appeared we set the ref volume to x+2dB.
>
> This doesn’t make sense. If the stream volume slider ‘pushes’ the ref
> volume slider, then the stream volume can never be > 0 dB (relative to
> the ref volume). For legacy stored stream volumes > 0 dB, just round
> them down to 0 dB. And there is no need to store it after rounding
> either.

The entries in the db are note only controlled by m-s-r but also
by the UI tools.

But I must admit that right now this suggestion actually makes more
sense to me than all other suggestins we have discussed.

I need to think about this a bit more. And probably implement it to
see in which ways this logic would fail in the end... ;-)

Marc-Andre, are you reading this? Got an opinion?

Lennart

lennart [at] poettering [dot] net