On Fri, 2009-10-02 at 10:18 +0200, Lennart Poettering wrote:

> A very brief intro how to use the threaded mainloop you may find in
> the doxygen docs. In case you haven't had a look yet:
>
> http://0pointer.de/lennart/projects/pulseaudio/doxygen/threaded_mainloop.html

That was one of the first things I read, but I found that unless you
know how it works it leaves you with more questions than answers !

> Take it with a grain of salt.

I did !   The gst source code was much more useful as it is complete.

I've actually worked enough out to get a very simple "make a tone for a
while" programme working with a threaded main loop.

It seems a bit fussy about how much data you write with each
pa_stream_write, but it might be my code that is generating the samples
that is wrong!

Next thing is to try and control the sound with some glade widgets to
see it the latency is going to be a problem doing things this way.

I did read a bit about making a plugin for the pulse demon so if latency
is a problem that might be another solution.

PeterO