On 12/23/2009 03:04 AM, Colin Guthrie wrote:
'Twas brillig, and Kelly Anderson at 23/12/09 08:21 did gyre and gimble:
AlienArena was deadlocking trying to go through OpenAl which was set to
use PulseAudio.  After quite a bit of debugging (entering prints in
OpenAl pulse code), I finally found a solution with the help of a SUSE
bug report.

http://lists.opensuse.org/opensuse-bugs/2009-10/msg10497.html

which points at this commit.

http://git.0pointer.de/?p=pulseaudio.git;a=commitdiff;h=4f5e2b745ea357e2b5c815ff33a556505a7d1f18

Here's an strace (with prints sprinkled in the OpenAl pulse code) which
demonstrates the deadlock.  A patch to undo the commit is at the end.
Does
http://git.0pointer.de/?p=pulseaudio.git;a=commit;h=978d33b609969c3b9bbbd759e0f11aaf856c80cf

Fix the problem?

volatile does not fix the problem. It still deadlocks unless I revert the original commit.