>> On Mon, 2010-08-16 at 06:42 +0300, Tanu Kaskinen wrote:
>> > I guess the problem is that pulsesrc doesn't know
>> > which source is going to be used before actually starts recording.
>>
>> No, that's not the problem. The problem is that pulsesrc doesn't use the
>> proper flags when creating the stream: PA_STREAM_FIX_FORMAT,
>> PA_STREAM_FIX_RATE and PA_STREAM_FIX_CHANNELS can be used to create the
>> stream with whatever parameters are used by the device that the stream
>> connects to.
>>

> Thank you!!! i like this answer :D

I don't think that solves the problem. The performance issue is due to
the format/sample-rate conversion.
Using these flags essentially mean that you will record with whatever
native sampling-rate is used by the pulseaudio source (as specified in
daemon.conf) no matter what value is specified when the stream is
created.. It doesn't mean you are going to record at 16kHz natively in
pulseaudio. You will still have to go your src in gstreamer.
-Pierre