H Luiz,

On Tue, 2011-03-15 at 18:37 -0300, Luiz Augusto von Dentz wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Tue, Mar 15, 2011 at 5:40 PM, pl bossart <bossart.nos...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >> I would suggest to use the new API to implement audio passthrough for
> >> bluetooth devices, it is very likely the we will be disabling unix
> >> socket IPC in BlueZ. What I would do is, if audio passthrough is
> >> supported then PA register a mp3 endpoint and try to configure both
> >> sbc and mp3 simultaneously (only one active at time) when possible so
> >> we can quickly switch between codecs.
> >
> > Luiz, what is the time frame for removal of this socket IPC? Will it
> > still be supported in Meego 1.2, 1.3, etc.? I don't disagree this is
> > the right thing to do, I am just wondering if we would run into some
> > integration issues that would actually delay the availability of MP3
> > passthrough by moving too quickly. Or maybe we can have the two
> > approaches supported and remove this initial version at a later time?
>
> Currently the 2 API work side by side, in fact we should already be
> able to use on MeeGo 1.2, for MeeGo 1.3 we should probably be moving
> for BlueZ 5.x which afaik will remove the unix socket IPC completely
> (Marcel can tell you the exact plan), so IMO we should try to
> prioritize the Media API solution which btw is what currently
> use/qualify in harmattan.

Thanks for the feeedback - I wanted to get this up and running as soon
as I could, so I just went with the method being used in PA now. Can you
please translate that into a time frame in dates? We should probably try
to figure out what API we want to ship as the on-by-default for the next
PA release (and if it's the Media API, turn it on in master asap to get
more testing and flush out any issues).

Cheers,
Arun