On Wednesday 02 April 2008, Paul Lathrop wrote:
> Hi Luke,
>
> Comments inline:
>
> On Mon, Mar 31, 2008 at 1:46 PM, Luke Kanies <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >  * Should it be part of Puppet (vs. a separate tool)?
>
> I think it should be a separate tool, to help maintain the logical
> separation. That said, once internal nodes are deprecated (should you
> choose to do so), puppetmaster should 'depend' on this, to ensure that
> there is *something* available in a default install.

+1

> >  * Is an internal DSL (see below) acceptable?
>
> An internal DSL is acceptable to me.

+1

> >  * Is there any unnecessary functionality included?
> >  * Is any obvious or critical functionality missing?
>
> As long as it entirely duplicates the functionality of 'node', I would
> be fine leaving other 'features' to further development (or even tell
> folks to roll their own as is done now).

One recurring theme I met with all my (two: hosting, campus infrastructure)
puppet projects is the need to configure specific resources for hosts, e.g.
ip adresses as already mentioned or things like "put this $web_app on this
$path in this $virtual_host" where the info is coming from sources which
cannot write manifests directly (c.f. customers)

> >  * If you don't want to replace the current 'node' type with this, why
> >  not?
>
> Let me echo others in saying that if you choose to replace the 'node'
> collection type, you should do so at *least* one release after nodify.
> I would envision a several-release deprecation cycle to ensure nodify
> can cleanly replace 'node'. After that, I'm happy to see 'node'
> relegated to history. Keep in mind, however, that since 0.23.x is
> immortalized in Debian Etch, and they'll probably be horribly behind
> when the next release hits as well, that we'll be fielding questions
> about 'node' for a LONG time.

Etch has 0.20.1 and lenny has currently 0.24.1 and will receive 0.24.4 in 6
days if nothing untoward happens.

http://packages.debian.org/puppet
http://packages.qa.debian.org/p/puppet.html -> "Testing Status"

> >  At this point, I'm planning on changing the matching rules so that all
> >  matching nodes get evaluated, because...
> >
> >  I'd also support regex-named nodes:
> >
> >  node %r{blah} do
> >  end
>
> Awesome.

+1

> >  The only other semi-significant feature I'm planning on adding is some
> >  ability to declare that certain classes are automatic based on
> >  parameter settings:
> >
> >  node :base do
> >  autoclass :operatingsystem, :environment, :location
> >  end
>
> Also awesome.

+1

Regards, DavidS

- --
The primary freedom of open source is not the freedom from cost, but the free-
dom to shape software to do what you want. This freedom is /never/ exercised
without cost, but is available /at all/ only by accepting the very different
costs associated with open source, costs not in money, but in time and effort.
- -- http://www.schierer.org/~luke/log/20070710-1129/on-forks-and-forking