On Sun, Feb 13, 2011 at 7:21 PM, Nigel Kersten <ni...@puppetlabs.com> wrote:

> On Sat, Feb 12, 2011 at 7:40 PM, Dan Bode <d...@puppetlabs.com> wrote:
>

>>> Could we add the ability to query whether a given resource has
>>>>

>> Sounds reasonable, I have actually tried something like this before hoping
>> it would work. (the use case was that I wanted to specify some dependency
>> for all resources of a given type that I was realizing)
>>

> I'm curious how many people are actually using this syntax for resource
> realization rather than the realize() function?
>
> Generally when I realize resources, I'm doing so for very specific
> resources, not large collections of resources.
>
> Should we be conflating querying/collecting and realizing like this at
> all?

We have only been teaching <| |> in the puppetmaster training as a way to
realize virtual resources. We do not teach that it is possible to override
attributes with this syntax as well: <| |> {} (at least in part b/c the
implications/non-determinism terrify me) , and do not teach that it actually
effects all resources.

The common example from class is something like:

class db::users {
  user { ['alice', 'bob']:
    ensure => present,
    gid => 'dbadmin',
  }
}

class app::users {
  user { ['charlie', 'bob']:
    ensure => present,
    gid => 'webadmin',
  }
}

class app {
  User<| gid == 'webadmin' |>
}

class db {
  User<| gid == 'dbadmin' |>
}

so that a machine can safely be a webserver and db server without conflict.