   Native Facter 0.3.0
   3.

   Puppet-server 0.4.0
   4.

   Code removal for puppet 4
   5.

   New puppet doc implementation

Commentary

This email is being put together a little differently this week. Normally I
write this up by putting down what I’ve seen going on around me and what I
can divine from various statuses in Jira. We’ll, this time it was a
collaboration between me, Kylo, and Chris, which means that it has a bit
more information about things that *aren’t* the language :)

Puppet 3.7.3 was shipped. Now taking a look at 3.7.4. In 3.7.4 we are going
to fix the “bug” in the language where strings that *look* like numbers are
converted to numbers for comparison. This change is only happening in the
future parser (and so will be default in puppet 4).

Native Facter: nearing a 0.3.0 release (Solaris, Windows, ec2/gce facts).
Also, we should have packages for the RHELs and Wheezy real soon now!

Code removals are plowing ahead. So many that I’m not going to list them
all. The big one that I’ve been watching is PUP-2906, which is up as a PR
now and being reviewed.

We’re beginning to scope some work related to changing the URL structure
for the master/agent HTTP API just a bit.  Specifically, we’d like to move
the environment name away from being the first segment of the URL, so that
the URL space is more well-contained and predictable.

Puppet Server 0.4.0 is packaged and we’re targeting ship for Monday, Nov.
10.  This release contains some minor bugfixes related to certificate
generation, as well as some packaging improvements for a few platforms.

The next release of Puppet Server after 0.4.0 will likely be our official
1.0 release, and will contain a few new features such as an API for
flushing the environment caches.

Puppet-dev conversations of note:

   -

   Improving the Resources Resource Type
   -

      We had a PR for the resources type...it scared us
      -

      The thread covers how the resources type *should* be handled.
      -

   Setting log levels in puppet.conf
   -

      The command line overriding the config file is great in a lot of
      cases, except for log level.
      -

      Consensus seems to be that making the command line --verbose and
      --debug flags mean “at least” rather than “exactly” those levels is the
      most sensible approach.
      -

   Leaving Puppet Labs
   -

      Yep, I’m leaving. :(
      -

   The string to number torture never stops
   -

      This is the conversation that cemented that we would remove the
      automatic conversion for puppet 4. It was unanimous that it just causes
      problems.

Data

Let’s spend some time admiring these amazing charts from Chris’s PuppetConf
talk about the Puppet Server.

--
Andrew Parker
a...@puppetlabs.com

*Join us at **PuppetConf 2015, October 5-9 in Portland, OR - *
http://2015.puppetconf.com
*Register early to save 40%!*