On Fri, Jan 29, 2016 at 8:16 AM, Alex Harvey <alexharv...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Yep, it's solved in Puppet 4 - the all-in-one package is fantastic, as is
> so much in Puppet 4.  However PE hasn't release Puppet 4 yet; my assessment
> of the Puppet Forge is that not many modules out there are ready; and I am
> not super confident that other tools in the ecosystem like Beaker,
> Librarian etc are ready; so I am not personally willing to recommend Puppet
> 4 to customers at this stage.  In any case, loads and loads of people will
> be using Puppet 3 for a long, long time yet.

Chris already covered this, but this incorrect. PE has had Puppet 4 since
July of 2015.

> And then I get back to - why not just put the RPMs in the yum repository?
> They're already in PE aren't they?  I get it that it's not really Puppet's
> problem that EL is crap, but on the other hand, it actually is.  Puppet
> made the choice to build a DSL on Ruby.  So, when I discovered earlier
> today that there's still no supported Ruby for the latest Puppet 3 for
> CentOS Linux, I couldn't believe it.  This is RUBY on EL6/7.  This is not a
> wacky feature request.  Without Ruby, the amazingly complex, feature rich
> ecosystem we know and love as Puppet is a castle built on sand.

Why would I ship a ruby when Red Hat does? The packages we ship for Puppet
3 are designed to ship with System Ruby. System ruby is 1.8.7. I realize
that is old, but that is what is there on EL6. That ruby is supported by
Red Hat until 2023. If you want to run on a non-system ruby, gems are
provided or you are welcome to package your own thing.

> It shouldn't be so hard to stand Puppet up in 2016.  I love Puppet, and I
> love Ruby, and I hate hearing super smart developers telling me that Salt
> or Ansible are superior, when their main reason for saying so is that Ruby
> and Puppet together are just way too many yaks to shave.  And I hear this,
> all, the, time.

What's difficult about install a puppetlabs-release package and yum install
puppet?

I think your complaint is that a non-standard use-case doesn't work. I
don't understand why you have that use-case, and we can solve everybody's
individual case. We provide a system-ruby enabled package. We also provide
puppet 4 with everything you need.