Bruce Richardson wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 17, 2009 at 10:48:23AM +0100, Patrick Debois wrote:
>
>>> The only sure way to control what is pushed/pulled to your systems is to
>>> maintain a local package mirror.  Then you can make sure that only
>>> the packages you want are visible to your hosts.
>>>

>> So that means, you would need to setup a repository per patch
>> combination you want to test?
>>

> You didn't way you wanted arbitrary combinations, just combinations up
> to an arbitrary date, which is simpler to manage.  You don't even need
> genuine multiple mirrors; you could use dirvish or rdiff-backup to
> create a series of apparent snapshots.

Nice idea to use dirvish: that would indeed allow me to avoid
duplication of the repository and if i understand it right,
i can have different enviroments use different snapshots at the same
time. f.i. dev and test on repository X and pre-prod on version Y

>> Even when you sync a repository, you always get the latest version
>> mirrored. That means if I need to re-install a machine and rebuild the
>> repository, I can't get it in the same state I want.
>>

> Debian manages that problem with it's release structure, but you
> probably don't want to hear that.

Would it make sense to use the Build Date or the Signature date for this?

# rpm -qi httpd

Name        : httpd                        Relocations: (not relocatable)

Version     : 2.2.3                             Vendor: CentOS

Release     : 11.el5_2.centos.4             Build Date:* Wed 12 Nov 2008
04:43:28 PM CET*

Install Date: Wed 04 Mar 2009 04:33:54 PM CET      Build Host:
builder10.centos.org

Group       : System Environment/Daemons    Source RPM:
httpd-2.2.3-11.el5_2.centos.4.src.rpm

Size        : 3054248                          License: Apache Software License

Signature   : *DSA/SHA1, Wed 12 Nov 2008 11:54:27 PM CET, Key ID
a8a447dce8562897*

URL         : http://httpd.apache.org/

Summary     : Apache HTTP Server

Description :

The Apache HTTP Server is a powerful, efficient, and extensible web server.