We have a grown linux environment, which are different in
hardware/distribution/installed software.
The clients are mainly maintained by our users, but sometimes we need
to ensure that certain updates are installed.

1)
We would like to gather the information about the softwarereleases
installed on our clients. This could be done with
   aptitude search -F '%p%v' ~i
or
   rpm -qa --qf "%{NAME},%{VERSION}\n"

Can puppet gather information about installed software/versions and
send it to a central server? Does somebody have a recipe to accomplish
that?

2) Updates / Patch management
Are there any best-practices about "Patch management with puppet"?
For example, we want to upgrade a package only if an earlier version
currently exist on the client.
When I use "ensure => latest", a package would be updated to the
latest package. It would also be installed even a earlier version was
not installed before.

Are there maybe better tools for our case?

Patrick