Luke Kanies schrieb:
> On Oct 19, 2009, at 6:19 AM, Bernhard Bock wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I'm trying to develop a class that autogenerates a config file based
>> on an .erb template.
>> It shall populate the config file with data exported from various
>> hosts.
>>
>> Some pseudocode to clarify my issue:
>>
>> node n1 {
>>   @@mytype {
>>      "name":
>>      property => "foo"
>>   }
>> }
>>
>> template.erb:
>> <% mytype.each do |bar| %>
>> <%= bar.name %>
>> <%= bar.property %>
>> <% end %>
>>
>> My question is: How can I access and iterate through the exported
>> resources in the template? mytype.each will not work...
>
> This is getting into semi-supported internal APIs, but you can get the
> resource list from the catalog, something like this:
>
> compiler.catalog.vertices.each do |resource|
>    resource.title
>    resource[:property]
> end

Being semi-supported or not, can I get to this from a template? I tried
with lookupvar('compiler') and lookupvar('compiler.catalog.vertices'),
but lookupvar returns not the variable, but a string. And that is empty
in both cases. Do I need to define my own function to return something
more useful?
Also: how can I check which type the resource has? "resource.type" seems
wrong (as I expect that the ruby Type is not the same as the type)?

The idea Bernhard had, if I understand it correctly, is to use a custom
type just to store the wanted data (and being a type, not a variable,
many instances can exist and get exported). The data is then collected
by a template. For me, this has two advantages (over other solutions
available to collect data from multiple hosts):
1) The user can change the template as needed
2) The resulting file is not edited, but recreated on each run, so its
   content is deterministic after the run, even if someone edited it
   manually beforehand.

Regards,
Sven