The Type Reference lists 8 read-only type attributes, but I can't find any
information in the documentation about how to use them.  Are they usable,
and if so how?

Here's my #1 example:  when I set the mode on a file resource, I want to
set a different default mode for a file than for a directory.  Files have
an attribute named type, which the docs say is "a read-only state to check
the file type".  That would seem to be the right thing, so I want to write
something like

file { mode => $type ? { file => 0644, directory => 0755 } }

But that isn't right of course, since $type is a facter fact, unrelated to
the file's type attribute.  So is the type attribute available for me to
use, and if so how?

Thanks,
Andrew.