On 08.12.2009 17:53, Rus Hughes wrote:
> Hi,
>
> We're using thin stored configs heavily to manage things like Munin
> and Nagios and we're currently wondering what to do when nodes go
> away, or change considerably.
>
> If we get rid of a server then all it's stored config is still present
> in the database, as well as it's nagios and munin configurations.
>
> We created a script that iterates through the database deleting
> associated lines from
> hosts/fact_values/resources/resource_tags/param_values tables cleaning
> out information for old hosts, but then doing a puppet run on say our
> Munin or Nagios doesn't seem to fix things, Puppet doesn't seem to
> notice that the extra Nagios or virtual configurations we're using for
> Munin have vanished, so isn't rebuilding the Nagios/Munin files.
>
> Does anyone have any idea how we can solve this problem? We're using
> Puppet 0.25.1.

There is a puppetstoredconfigclean.rb in the ext/ directory of the
puppet distribution. You can use that to cleanly remove nodes from
stored configs.

On the matter of managing munin and nagios, you need to use a mechanism
like concatenated_file[1], which purges unmanaged parts. After deleting
a node from the stored configs db, the resources formerly collected
become unmanaged and will be removed by purging.

Regards, DavidS

[1]http://github.com/puppet-modules/puppet-common/blob/0caa32db1aaad6dabc9542c5e0aa20e76ea94f48/manifests/defines/concatenated_file.pp