On Jan 18, 3:11 pm, Forrie <for...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Puppet docs require a PUPPET server name -- which I presumed a CNAME
> would suffice.  However, I'm finding that's not the case - as the SSL
> cert generated is for the actual system name pupptmasterd runs on
> (makes sense).
>
> The server that puppetmasterd is running on services other purposes,
> and I don't want to call it puppet.  I'm wondering if this is simply
> for cosmetic needs say, for new clients.

Puppetd is configured to use the server name "puppet" by default, but
you can easily point it to any other name.  The startup option --
server=<alternative.name> does this.  If you have installed Puppet via
the RPM then you have a file /etc/sysconfig/puppet wherein you can
record the appropriate server name; the init script thereafter will
automatically add that option when it starts puppetd.

Using the default name can be somewhat advantageous when bringing up
new clients from scratch (one less thing to manually configure), but
otherwise I don't think it gains you anything.

John