JeFFreaK wrote:

i'm stuck with the plugin in modules section.
i've got 2 environments set called
development and production.
[...]
now i wanted to have the sysctl plugin inserted in my development
environment without harming anything in production.
http://github.com/duritong/puppet-sysctl

Unfortunately, not possible.  There is some hope that this will
work at least a little bit better in Puppet 0.26 (or whatever it
will be called), but currently you are out of luck.

For custom types and custom functions, puppetmasterd will only
look at the *global* value of modulepath, i.e the one you have
set under [puppetmasterd] or under [main].  The modulepath you
have set under each environment will not be used for those.  You
didn't have a global modulepath setting at all in puppet.conf;
you need to add one to get plugins in modules to work *at*all*.

(Note, though, that the per-environment modulepath setting *will*
be used for custom facts.  If you are using 0.25 on both clients
and server, it will even work correctly, but if you use 0.24, it
will give you strange results.)

Now this page is refering to me, that this will not work...
http://projects.puppetlabs.com/projects/puppet/wiki/Using_Multiple_Environments
"Note that currently Plugins In Modules don’t mix well with
environments."

Indeed, they don't.  You cannot have custom types or custom
functions per environment.  All environments will share the same
set of plugins (except for facts).

so with other words:
how do i needs to setup the filesystem to actually sync my custom
modules over to the client etc...
hope anybody can help.. i've lost the complete overview...

The complete picture is somewhat lacking in the documentation, yes.

The way I have set up things, is that at the global level (under the
[puppetmasterd] heading), I set modulepath to point to the modules
directory of my production environment.  The only way to change my
custom types or custom functions, is to update them in the production
environment, and I must ensure that my other environments work with
what is available in production.

To develop new versions of my plugins, I start with using plain
puppet, instead of the puppetd/puppetmasterd combo.  Depending on
how confident I am with new plugins, I may then either promote
them directly to production, or I may set up a separate puppetmaster
server for testing more, before promoting them to production.

        /Bellman