Joe McDonagh wrote:

[I'm re-arranging what Joe said a bit so I can keep replies to related
 issues together.]

They're not unix-agnostic resources for one (has that fundamental bit of philosophy changed?), and they're unlikely to change in a way that you want puppet to 'correct'.

Puppet has several types that are specific to some Unix(-clone) variant.
Three types that are for MacOS X, 'yumrepo' type is for a subset of Linux
distributions, and there are 'zone', 'zfs' and 'zpool' for Solaris.  And
there is talk about creating 'iptables' and 'lvm' types, which are Linux-
specific.  It's nice if types *can* be made generic, but I don't think
Luke has any rule that core types must be so, nor do I think there needs
to be such a rule.

I see this as being distinctly part of the provisioning portion of a server life-cycle. I haven't looked at the discussion on -dev, but i'm not sure these types really belong in core puppet.

I have never quite understood the distinction between provisioning and
other systems administration.  Why is creating a file system provisioning,
but installing a package not?

That being said, some people have 'bootstrap' envs, which would be a better place to have these destructive resources than in your production environment.

What is potentially destructive is not so much *types*, as specific
resources.  I can easily wreak havoc with an ill-advised file resource,
or with an augeas stanza that isn't cautious enough.  Likewise, re-
creating a filesystem automatically doesn't *have* to be dangerous.  I
would not hesitate much to let Puppet automatically re-create filesystems
containing pure caches, or the OS installation (which is just a short
kickstart installation away to be re-created).

        /Bellman