On Jun 27, 2010, at 12:50 PM, Douglas Garstang wrote:

> On Sun, Jun 27, 2010 at 12:47 PM, Douglas Garstang
> <doug.garst...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Sun, Jun 27, 2010 at 12:34 PM, Douglas Garstang
>> <doug.garst...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> Here we go with puppet 0.25 certificate problems again.
>>>
>>> I had a system where puppet was running fine. I reinstalled it.
>>> Running puppet on the client causes this:
>>>
>>> "Could not request certificate: Retrieved certificate does not match
>>> private key; please remove certificate from server and regenerate it
>>> with the current key".
>>>
>>> Fine... so I run 'puppetca --clean kick01.fr.xxx.com' on the server,
>>> who responds with:
>>>
>>> [r...@inst01 puppet]# puppetca --clean kick01.fr.xxx.com
>>> kick01.fr.xxx.com
>>> notice: Removing file Puppet::SSL::Certificate kick01.fr.xxx.com at
>>> '/var/lib/puppet/ssl/ca/signed/kick01.fr.xxx.com.pem'
>>>
>>> I then rerun puppet on the client and I am getting the same error. I
>>> must have done this hundreds of times with 0.24.8. What am I doing
>>> wrong now?
>>>
>>> Doug.
>>>

>> *sigh*
>>
>> On the client, I removed the puppet rpm, blew away /var/lib/puppet,
>> and reinstalled the puppet rpm again. Started puppet, it requested a
>> certificate (but it logged nothing on the client about it, even in
>> debug mode), signed it on the server, and I am still getting this on
>> the client.
>>
>> warning: peer certificate won't be verified in this SSL session
>> info: Caching certificate for kick01.fr.xxx.com
>> err: Could not request certificate: Retrieved certificate does not
>> match private key; please remove certificate from server and
>> regenerate it with the current key
>>
>> *sigh*
>>

> Puppet is on crack. Even when the server isn't running, I STILL get this
> error!

I think I know what the problem is.  I ran into this exact error message
before.  Try this:

Step 1, run this on client:
service puppet stop
rm -R /var/lib/puppet

Step 2, run this on server:
puppetca --clean kick01.fr.xxx.com #Make sure to change this back

Step 3, run this on client:
#Restart the client how ever you like.  I recommend this for testing:
puppetd --test --verbose --debug

I'm pretty sure this will work.  If it does, I'll by happy to explain why you
got all those different error messages.