Regarding my initial query, the problem was that the subdirs & files were
also declared as separate resources, and hence I had to explicitly mention
owner & group for each of them individually.

@Tore: Have no clue about the purge option. Did go through the docs, but not
sure if I should set it or not ? If its not much to ask for, could you give
me a scenario to better comprehend the purge option ? Not sure but probably
purge=false is a failsafe option ?