I've found that there are three major pieces that can be going wrong in this
case:
1) Getting the ca.pem file to the client.
2) Getting the Certificate sign request to the server.
3) Getting the signed certificate to the client.

Test them like this:
To test 1) Grab /var/lib/puppet/ssl/ca.pem from a working client and put it on
the client that doesn't work.
To test 2) Check if you see the client's name when you run "puppetca --list
--all" on the server.  If not, try using "sudo puppetca --generate
hostname.domainname" on the server.