On Oct 7, 2010, at 12:40 AM, Felix Frank wrote:

> On 10/07/2010 04:48 AM, Patrick wrote:

>>> Thanks James. I understand.
>>> My question is that with --test option, the second puppetd seems to
>>> work fine... Is it?
>>> Should I just use --test option to run this second puppetd, or is
>>> there a better way?
>>
>> I'm guessing that it will work if you run it with the -no-deamonize option.
>>
>> You really don't want to use --test.  That will have other effects.
>
> Patrick,
>
> could you elaborate on that?
>
> Because --test is what we are using constantly here. I believe it's a
> tip from "Pulling strings with puppet".
>
> From what I gathered, it's the standard way to enforce a run while
> puppet is also running in daemon mode, which is quite exactly what
> Mohammed needs.
>
> So what are the catches to be wary of?

Last I checked, you were's supposed to use --test for something non-interactive
so --test might change.  That means it's safer to just list off the options
that --test sets.  The ones I remember that it sets are:
--verbose
--onetime
--no-daemonize
Something like, "Don't use cached catalog on compile failure"
I think there's something that affects how long is should wait for a cert.

Anyway, I think that "--verbose --onetime --no-daemonize" is all people usually
want.

Using --test still won't force a puppet run if the service is also applying a
run at the same time.  It just allows you to run two copies of puppetd at the
same time.  The reason why you can is the --no-daemonize flag, so it's usually
safer to just list which flags you wanted from --test instead of using --test.