We done it 2 different ways:

*) Pull and run a shellscript that sets puppet to run when the computer first
boots up.

Or instead of running the shell script, run something like this:
get private_keys/bootstrap.pem (Pseudocode)
get signed/bootstrap.pem (Pseudocode)
get public_keys/ca.pem (Pseudocode)

#Then run
puppetd --no-daemonize --verbose --debug
--hostprivkey=/var/lib/puppet/ssl/private_keys/bootstrap.pem
--hostcert=/var/lib/puppet/ssl/certs/bootstrap.pem --onetime
--certname=bootstrap > /target/root/puppet.log
#Now, when the computer reboots, the real run will happen with the computer's
real name