On Fri, Oct 15, 2010 at 4:46 PM, Bruce Richardson <itsbr...@workshy.org>wrote:

> On Fri, Oct 15, 2010 at 12:19:36PM +0200, Arnau Bria wrote:
> > 1.-) Stage vs require Class. May we say that stages are groups of class
> > requires? So a simple/basic example:
> >
> > class A {
> > require class B
> > }
> >
> > class B{
> > require class C
> > }
> >
> > Is like defining :
> >
> > Stage[pre] -> Stage[main] -> Stage[post]
> >
> > class { A: stage => pre }
> > class { B: stage => main }
> > class { C: stage => post }
>
> Is it the same?  I haven't investigated stages, but I don't think it
> would be.  In your first example, Class B will not be evaluated if any
> resource in class A fails.  Is this true in the second example?  I
> actually hope not; if it is true, stages have to be used very carefully
> indeed.
>
> --
> Bruce
>
> What would Edward Woodward do?

Also, apart from what Bruce mentioned, as a simple example, if you want to
update your repositories, say through apt-get update, then using stages  is
more easier than figuring out the appropriate class require or include
statements (you can find a solution like this though in the mailing lists,
probably better than using stages, I haven't investigated). So, you can have
a module be executed before the main stage, which just does apt-get update.
Doing something similar through require <class> statements would be
cumbersome IMO.

My guess is that using both, stages and generic concepts according to the
requirement makes sense.