On Nov 7, 2010, at 10:45 PM, Nigel Kersten wrote:

> On Sun, Nov 7, 2010 at 9:52 AM, Christopher McCrory <chris...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
> Hello...
>
> # the hostname data is added via something like:
> # shell> ec2-run-instances ... --user-data "myservername" ami-123abc
> # by definition, the first line MUST be the hostname
> # potentially in the future there could be more data
> curl --silent http://169.254.169.254/2008-02-01/user-data | head -n 1
> > /etc/hostname
> hostname --file /etc/hostname
>
> # yes, thrice
> /usr/sbin/puppetd --no-daemonize --onetime --server
> puppetmaster.example.com
> /usr/sbin/puppetd --no-daemonize --onetime --server
> puppetmaster.example.com
> /usr/sbin/puppetd --no-daemonize --onetime --server
> puppetmaster.example.com
>
> Why do you have to do it three times?

I would like to know why you do it too.  I've needed to do that because:
1a) This bug http://projects.puppetlabs.com/issues/3561
1b) Sets options in /etc/puppet/puppet.conf
2) Full run (Will be much shorter because lots of stuff was already done in the
first run)
3) One last chance just in case something didn't work, timed out, or I forgot a
require.  (Finishes in seconds for me)

Also, I'd advise running puppet with "--verbose --debug" and then logging the
output somewhere.  Mostly because if the second run doesn't work, you can see
it and have a chance at fixing it..