On Nov 23, 2010, at 6:45 AM, Ashley Penney wrote:

> Hi,
>
> We've been having some internal discussions about the best way to handle
> certain cases and I thought I'd turn to the list to solicit opinions on how
> other people have solved this issue (or don't, as the case may be).  The
> issue is that we would like our modules to, where possible, check for the
> existence of certain on disk data when installing a service for the first
> time and retrieve it from somewhere if it's not available.
>
> As an example of the kind of thing we're talking about we use a product
> called Sonatype Nexus that relies on a bunch of on disk data in
> /srv/sonatype-nexus/.  When installing the system for the first time (for
> example, when the file{} containing the .war triggers) we would like it to
> automatically put down a copy of /srv/sonatype-nexus/.  We obviously don't
> want this drifting out of sync with the production data which is where the
> issue is.  How do other people handle this?
>
> Our options seem to be:
>
> * Nightly/hourly backups of production data to some location where Puppet can
> rsync/wget/shovel it out when needed.
> * Some kind of process that real-time syncs directories to nfs storage.
> * Erroring if the data is missing in some fashion when Puppet runs and
> relying on sysadmins to put it in place.
>
> We've talked through the options but they all have fairly significant
> drawbacks.  My personal favorite solution would be some kind of daemon that
> syncs data constantly and is capable of intelligently syncing the data back
> to the node if it goes missing.  It could be potentially error prone but it
> represents the least bad choice.  That combined with regular backups would
> seem ideal but I can't find anything out there that does this without
> significant work/investment.  I debated just rsyncing every 15 minutes but
> that's not great either.

1) So are the Puppet clients (Nexus servers) supposed to be modifying the data
in /srv/sonatype-nexus like a database or is it used read-only like a file
server?
2) If you change the "master copy" of the data, can you wipe the data and
recopy on each client or do you need to merge in changes?
3) How big is the biggest file in the data?  What's the total size?