On Dec 8, 2010, at 1:22 AM, Hubert Krause wrote:

> Hello List,
>
> I have a Problem with classes wich uses augeas. if augeas is not installed,
> The complete catalog will not compile. So I can not install augeas with a
> different class. I have to switch off all classes wich uses augeas, until
> augeas is installed. I solved this Problem by introducing the variable
> $augeas_avail and do a test in my templates with:
>
> if $augeas_avail == 'true' {
>       include class_using_augeas
> }
>
> If there are new machines, I have to put $augeas_avail manually to 'false',
> wait until augeas is installed on every machine and after that set
> $augeas_avail to 'true' for running the class_using_augeas.
>
> I would like to use something like:
>
> if defined(augeas) { ...
>
> To automate augeas detection. Is this somehow possible? or what about a fact
> to determine if augeas is available or not in standart puppet? My
> Clientversion is 0.25.4.

Answering your question directly:
The best answer is usually, "install Augeas when you install Puppet".  If
that's not possible, I know of two options:
1) Custom fact wrapper
2) Use a bootstrap enviroment and don't have your client leave it without
Augeas.

Aside from that, your catalog should compile fine without Augeas on the client.
 Are we talking about the server here?