On Jan 5, 2011, at 5:52 PM, Nigel Kersten wrote:

> On Wed, Jan 5, 2011 at 2:52 PM, Michael Knox <michael.knox...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
> It would be neat if puppet could use tar.gz's as a source, instead of just
> bare directory trees. So I've lodged a feature request:
> https://projects.puppetlabs.com/issues/5786
>
> Many of my manifests for applications need to cover the following process: 1.
> Download .tar.gz to host
> 2. Expand .tar.gz
> 3. Whatever install process is required
>
> I'm not totally against this, but I am curious why you haven't decided to
> build packages for these applications, as that should essentially contain all
> your desired functionality right?

I can't answer for the original poster, but I can answer for why I've done this
myself.  I had a vendor application that packages dynamically linked libraries
with the application.  This caused the Debian package builder to have a fit
when it tried to figure out what libraries the application depended on because
the application bundles 32-bit libraries and the OS is 64-bit.

I read the manuals and used Google, but I couldn't figure out how to disable
the check.  I tried IRC and couldn't get a better response than RTFM so I
finally gave up and switched to tar.bz2.

Since this is in one directory, I name the directory with the application
version in the directory name.  Then I set the path in the application launch
script.  Not an elegant solution, but it did finally work.