On Jan 23, 2011, at 4:49 PM, Stefan Schulte wrote:

> On Sun, Jan 23, 2011 at 03:48:16PM -0800, Nigel Kersten wrote:
>> On Sun, Jan 23, 2011 at 3:38 PM, Dan Bode <d...@puppetlabs.com> wrote:

>>> maybe we could keep --test and add --noop to the list of options in sets.
>>
>> That would take away the current functionality, which is immensely useful.
>>
>> You'd be required to spell out all the --onetime --no-daemonize stuff by
>> hand.
>>
>> Maybe we should just make up a word. :)
>>
>> I know some people expect --noop to be implied by --test, and I have
>> some sympathy for that position, but before we can get there, we need
>> to have a name for the existing functionality that I don't want to do
>> away with.
>>
> Maybe --test should only set options if we havent specified otherwise
> (maybe it does so already). We could then say --test --no-noop to match
> current behaviour.
>
> -Stefan

I think this is a really bad idea because I really think Puppet has broken a
lot of things recently and people use --test in automatic scripts.

This is really almost always an abuse and "--no-daemonize --onetime --verbose"
would probably work better, but I really don't think breaking even more things
is the right choice right now.