The other alternative is to call the tag function in a node but it seems the
tag is not inherited so rather than defining the tag in the default node, I'd
have to do so in every node. The lack of inheritance seems to be by design so
I'm fine using a define if I can get it to work.

> I am led to believe by http://projects.puppetlabs.com/issues/5239 that using
> a tag is the accepted workaround to not being able to collect by environment
> directly.
The tag function works in the global scope and it appears to not cause problems
when clients with a different environment contact the same master. That's my
solution unless someone advises against it.