jcbollinger wrote:

That bug arises when client and server disagree about which
environment the client should be in, which can happen (as I understand
it) only when the client specifies a non-default environment to the
server, and the server gets a different environment for the node from
an external node classifier.

I'm not sure what you mean by a "non-default environment".
If you don't specify an environment in puppet.conf for the
client, it will ask for the environment named "production"
when talking to the master, but as far as I know, the master
does not treat that particular name differently from any
other way.

It seems to me, then, that the available workarounds are:

1) Do not have clients specify their environments, or

I believe that is not possible.  My understanding is that the
environment name is a mandatory part of each request the client
sends to the master, in the protocol used by 0.25.x and 2.6.x
clients.  You can choose to not specify an environment in the
puppet.conf file of the client, but that's exactly equivalent
to explicitly specifying "production".

In the protocol used in 0.24 and earlier, the environment was
only sent when requesting the catalog, not when fetching files.
Not that that helped anything, because the master still only ran
the external node classifier for the catalog, so when a client
fetched a file, the master would just guess at what environment
it should look the file up in (and failing in ways that were not
exactly obvious to understand; this broke things even without an
external node classifier trying to override the client's idea of
environment).

        /Bellman