On 17/03/11 16:07, Mark Phillips wrote:
> On 17 Mar 2011, at 05:42, James Turnbull wrote:
>
>> Dominic Cleal wrote:
>>> Nobody has been looking at it, it would be great if you and Mark want to
>>> and I'd be happy to help.  I haven't even seen any examples of pkgutil
>>> catalogs with multiple versions, so it'd be good to check it copes
>>> properly in its current form too.  (Unit tests!)
>>>
>>> I think it's best to first collect some evidence about the output format
>>> of pkgutil with multiple versions and what's possible compared to say
>>> yum, then work out how to integrate that into the provider.
>>>

>> And tests.  Tests are always awesome. :)
>
> And on that subject James, do Puppetlabs have any recommendations for
> testing - types of evidence, frameworks, etc. My only experience is Perl
> Test::More and the likes, if you've any tips on what we could produce for
> Puppet/Ruby that'd be great.

Just to add to Daniel and James, I recently wrote a test for the pkgutil
provider based on the current implementation.  You'll find it in the
latest branch (Juerg's) at spec/unit/provider/package/pkgutil_spec.rb.
Hopefully it's fairly easy to follow and extend.

Also see:
http://projects.puppetlabs.com/projects/puppet/wiki/Development_Writing_Tests

Actually, it looks Juerg's recent commits have caused it to break, so
I'll go through later and update it to cover the changes.  Will update
#4258 when it's done.

$ ruby spec/unit/provider/package/pkgutil_spec.rb
.....F.FFF.F..F.

Failures:

  1) Puppet::Type::Package::ProviderPkgutil when updating should use a
command without versioned package

--
Dominic Cleal
Red Hat Consulting