Brian Cully wrote:

When I run puppet with --environment=development everything works
great. When I use my external none classifier which sets the
environment, for some reason, puppet uses the wrong module path
for file references even though my puppetmasterd log shows that
it compiled the catalog for development (just like it does when
I set the environment on the CLI).

I can tell things aren't working because, while it gets the right
catalog, the files it downloads are from the production modules.

Known bug: the node classifier is only run when the client
requests the catalog, not when it is downloading files.  Thus
when the client wants to fetch a file, the master blindly
trusts the client and gives it the file from the environment
the client says it wants (and if you haven't explicitly set
the environment with --environment or in puppet.conf on the
client, it will default to "production").

https://projects.puppetlabs.com/issues/3910

The only workaround is to set the environment on the client.
But if you do that correctly, there is no need to have the
external node classifier set the environment as well...

        /Bellman